They actually do fall apart. Everything falls together incredibly fast. I enjoyed the first part of the book much better than the rest. I thought it was interesting to learn about certain aspects of their culture and the characters. When the book reached the end of part 2 and part 3, I felt the book went downhill. I became bored and didn't like all of the talk about the white man coming it. I believe it was very important to include in the book though, to show what happened in Africa. But I believe this book would have been much more enjoyable if it just focused on their tribe and culture. I did gain more r-e-s-p-e-c-t (it's hard to spell that word without thinking of the song) for Okonkwo because he understood that he would have to work his way up the rankings in his group again. He was also devastated about what had happened, so that showed that he does have feelings. I really liked how on page 180-181, Mr. Brown and Akunna had a conversation and they shared their similarities and differences about their beliefs. I also felt like they introduced way too many characters into part 3. I can't follow the names. Some of the things the white men brought were good. I believe that Mr. Brown was good because he brought a trading post, a school, and a hospital. But when he left, things began to fall apart even more. This book showed just how rapidly things can change. My final question is: do you think that the town broke down because Okonkwo wasn't there?
Also, it sucked that he died. I wasn't expecting that. That was a major plot twist and I actually felt sad when he did which also surprised me. I think I grew to like him a bit because he was becoming a leader again by trying to protect his tribe and he seemed to be the only one with the courage to do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment