Saturday, February 21, 2015

Purple Hibiscus Part 2

For this post, I'm going to comment on things I found significant in the book based on the annotations I made...
Page 111: Kevin kind of is two-faced. He tattles on the kids to their father, but then he does things the father wouldn't like, like bribery. The kids don't tattle on him.
Page 114: Aunt Ifeoma's village and house is the "Africa that we know". Like Adichie talked about, we're often only shown one side of Africa, the poor side. That is what is being shown here, a village and family that is lacking money. It's interesting that Adichie showed the rich part first. I wonder what effect the book would have on the reader if the story was switched around to show the aunt's village before the father's.
Page 116: It's clear that Amaka is jealous of Kambili. How old is Amaka? I feel like she hasn't developed a filter yet, that's why she is so rude to Kambili.
Page 121: Again, the poor side of Africa with the toilet is shown. This is exactly what the readers expect to see when they read about Africa.
Page 125: I thought the difference in religion between the two families was interesting. I wonder how this difference came about. Is it a village difference?
Page 128: The purple hibiscus which shows the mixing of culture. Does this mean that the Aunt is a peacemaker?
Page 142: Since you said the book will have a plot twist, I wrote: "Will Kambili kill Amaka?" But after reaching page 206, I think that's highly unlikely.
Page 145: I HATE THE FATHER. HOW CAN HE THINK HE WILL GO TO HEAVEN BY CUTTING OFF HIS KID'S FINGER AND ABUSING HIS CHILDREN. I HATE HOW HE POURS WATER ON THEM LATER AND BEATS HIS WIFE. One would think that since he is so religious, he would not beat his children. But it's cool that Jaja found a passion, gardening, that he likes.
Page 150: It's sad to me that she prays for her grandpa to be saved. The part that is so sad is that she doesn't know any better, since it's something her dad has taught her to do.
Page 161: I liked the story that the grandpa told. It reminded me of the stories that they told in TFA.
Page 170: When the aunt told Kambili to talk back to her. . . I have mixed feelings about that. First, it was bad that she wasn't correcting her own child, but it was good that she was telling Kambili to grow a pair.
Page 173: Kambili and Father Amadi sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G. Here is the first sign that she has a crush on him. It's cool to see it evolve through the chapter because it seems like he gives her more self confidence.
Page 179: The first time Kambili laughs in the book.
Page 181: Just when I thought the book would be uplifting, it gets crushed again. I was happy for Kambili because she finally is happy on her trip, but now her dad's ruining everything.
Page 182: My heart broke a little bit when the grandpa died, but I feel like the death makes Kambili and Amaka stronger.
Page 191: I liked earlier when the Aunt told Jaja that it is okay to be brave and stand up for what you believe. On this page, I saw the first sign of him doing that to his dad.
Page 192: The trip has humbled Kambili.
Page 194: Another example of the dick father burning water. I hope the kids stand up to him sooner or later.
Page 198: Maybe he's trying not to be a dick father now because he sent money for the funeral?
I liked this part. I like the character development and think this is one of the most interesting books I read. I'm excited to keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment