Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hamlet Act 3 Scene 4

Where the first real death takes place...when Hamlet kills Polonius. I understand that he was eavesdropping, but why would he choose to stand behind a curtain? Is this supposed to have a deeper meaning, like 'coming out of the closet'? That's what I thought when I read it. Also, good for Hamlet for sticking it to his mom. At this point, I don't think that he's acting mad because he's able to hold conversations and think for himself. For example, he's able to confront his mom about marrying his uncle. But he does seem violent and angry when he does so, so I believe he may be mad, but not acting mad (if this makes sense). My favorite line from this scene is after Hamlet kills Polonius, the Queen says Hamlet committed a dirty dead and Hamlet says, "A bloody deed- almost as bad, good mother, as kill a king and marry with his brother" (171). That is the ultimate burn. He is able to declare that what he did was bad, but he also justifies his actions by saying what his uncle and mother did was worse. I also love the term "good mother" because it's totally mocking the queen, there's no way that she's a "good mother". And what kind of kingdom do they live in where it's okay to kill someone and marry their wife??? And I don't understand why the king killed Hamlet's dad, was it only because he wanted to be king himself?
Also, Hamlet doesn't seem too bothered that he killed the wrong person (Polonius). Could this be because he's possessed by the devil/ghost? That's what I am thinking at the moment. I know that Hamlet is perhaps 'mad' after seeing the ghost, but wouldn't someone who is mad be at least a little apologetic for killing the wrong person? I believe he is possessed, because he doesn't seem to care about the death.

No comments:

Post a Comment