Examine the relationship between two
characters.
One of the
relationships I found most interesting in this book, “Love Medicine” was the
relationship between Marie Lazarre and Sister Leopolda. When Leopolda is first
introduced, she’s in a house for nuns that is for nuns who don’t fit in
anywhere else, so right from the start the reader can tell that something is
off. Leopolda is extremely conscience about Satan and watched out for him. If
she saw him in someone, she would try to beat Satan or get Satan out of him or
her. Leopolda sees Satan inside Marie. One day, Marie notices Satan in the room
and smiles. Leopolda throws Marie in the closet where Satan was and hit her
with her pole. Marie realizes and says, “The real way to overcome Leopolda was
this: I’d get to heaven first” (Erdrich 48). So Marie travels to the house in
order to get to heaven before Leopolda. They cook together and Marie drops a
cup under the stove. As she bends down to get the cup, Leopolda pours hot water
on her to try to get Satan out of her. Then Leopolda nurses to Marie’s wounds.
All of a sudden, Leopolda keeps repeating the phrase, “Help me”. They go to get
the bread out of the oven and Marie pushes her into the oven, but Leopolda
stabs her hand and hits her head. Marie is knocked out and when she wakes she’s
surrounded by people who are worshiping her, saying she’s a saint because
Leopolda told them that the mark on her hand suddenly appeared. Marie has now
rid herself of Satan and knows she will beat Leopolda and get to heaven first. Their
relationship is one of violence but also care. They look out for each other and
try to rid each other of Satan, though they use violence to do so. I’m not sure
if that is because they honestly hate each other or that they care for each
other so much that they would do anything to rid each other of Satan. I believe
that they care about each other because at one point Marie says she wants
Leopolda’s love. I think there is also competition between them, because both
know that Satan is inside of them and they both want to get rid of it sooner
than the other. I believe that Satan might take over in their bodies sometime
and cause their violence. I have never read a book with characters like this,
so I think it’s very interesting to examine the different types of
relationships from different books.
No comments:
Post a Comment